当前位置:资讯中心 > 托福考试 > 托福听力 > 正文
     

历年TOEFL听力常考的55个习语(1)

http://news.iciba.com     2008年07月03日01:30     来源:爱词霸资讯官网

  1) take a rain check 改天吧  
  -- Can you come over for dinner tonight? (今天晚上来吃饭好吗?)  
  -- I’m up to my ears in work, so I’ll have to take a rain check.(我工作很忙,改日吧。)  
  2) lost count 弄不清楚  
  -- Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are always driving there. How many trips a week do you make anyway?(自从你的女友搬到Bridgeport,你老是开车去看她。一周去几次啊?)  
  --I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyes closed.(搞不清楚了,但我闭着眼也能摸过去。)  
  3) be in another world 精神恍惚;魂不守舍  
  -- Pete’s really out of it these days.(Pete 这几天有点心不在焉。)  
  -- Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he’s been in another world.(我同意。自从他遇见Ann, 他就魂不守舍了。)  
  4) make yourself at home 随意,随便  
  -- Do you mind if I take off my jacket?(你介意我脱下夹克吗?)  
  -- Of course not, make yourself at home.(当然不介意,随意一点!)  
  5) save your breath 省口气吧;别白费口舌了  
  -- Hey? John! John!(嘿,John! John!)  
  -- Save your breath. He"s out of earshot.(省口气吧。他已经听不到了。)  
  6) make sense 有意义,理解  
  -- The plot of that movie is hard to follow.(那部电影的情节很难跟得上。)  
  -- It makes more sense the second time.(再看一遍就理解了。)  
  7) cost sb. an arm and a leg 非常昂贵  
  --Did you see the diamond ring Bill gave to Linda?(你看到Bill送给Linda的钻戒了吗?)  
  --I sure did. It must have cost him an arm and a leg.(当然了。那一定很昂贵。)  
  8) burn a hole in one’s pocket 很快地被花光  
  --Have you saved enough to buy that new printer for your computer yet? (你攒足钱给你的电脑买一台新打印机了吗?)  
  --You know money seems to be burning a hole in my pocket lately . Maybe next month. (这几个月我花钱如流水。也许下个月吧。)  
  9)fill one’s shoes 很好地顶替;令人满意地替代  
  --Have you heard that Professor Jones is retiring? (你听说Jones教授要退休了吗?)  
  --Yes. The faculty won’t find anyone to fill her shoes. (是的。学校将很难找到合适的人来代替她。)  
  10)is ice cold 表示理所当然  
  --Does Prof. Ford always come to class? (Ford教授总是来上课吗?)  
  --Is ice cold? (当然了。)  
  11)like apples and oranges 用来表示无法相比的事物  
  --Which game do you think is more difficult to learn, chess or bridge? (你认为桥牌和象棋哪个更难学?)  
  --They are like apples and oranges. (它俩没法比较。)  

 
  12)look for a needle in a hay stack 大海捞针  
  --We are supposed to meet John here at the train station. (我们要在火车站接John。)  
  --That’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack . (那可真是大海捞针。)  
  13)lose one’s train of 忘记  
  --When you interrupted me, you made me lose my train of thought. (你打断了我的思考,我忘记我在想什么了。)  
  14)meet each other half way 相互妥协,让步  
  --My chemistry project is in trouble because my partner and I had totally different ideas about how to proceed. (我的化学课题出问题了。在进展问题上,我与我的合作者意见完全不同。)  
  --You should try to meet each other half way. (你们应该相互妥协。)  
  15)on the dot 准时;正点  
  --Did you and Amanda really meet exactly five minutes to two in front of the theatre? (你和Amanda确实在差5分两点的时候到达剧院门口了吗?)  
  --Yes, we were both there on the dot. (是的,我俩都准点到达。)  
  16)once and for all 最后一次;干脆  
  --I am going to tell that neighbor of mine to turn down that music once and for all.(我要最后一次告诉我那个邻居把音乐声关小。)  
  --I see why you are angry. But I’ve always found that the polite route is the most effective. (我明白你为什么恼火。但我总觉得礼貌的方式是最有效的。)  
  17)out of earshot 不在听力所及范围  
  --Hey? John! John! (嗨! John! John! )  
  --Save your breath. He’s out of earshot. (省口气吧,他听不见。)  
  18)out of this world 非常好  
  --Have you tried Susan’s apple pie? (你试过Susan的苹果派吗?)  
  --I got the last piece. And it was out of this world. (我拿到最后一块。好吃极了。)  
  19)play by ear 随机应变,视情形而定  
  --Marty, are you doing anything special for your presentation in political science tomorrow? (Marty,你在为明天的政治学演讲准备与众不同的材料吗?)  
  --Not really, because the class so often turns into a discussion, I’ve decided to play it by ear. (不。那门课常常最后变成讨论。我决定视情形而定。)  
  20) ring a bell 令人想起某件事;听起来耳熟  
  --That name just doesn’t ring a bell with me. (那个名字我一点也不熟。)  

1 [2] 下一页
昵称:          匿名发表             【查看评论】 0条
注:以上留言只代表网友观点,不代表爱词霸官方意见。
更多>>
编辑推荐
英语大讲堂
  2008年第十届雅思年会:08年度雅思考试回顾及09年趋势,英语大讲堂直击现场……
更多详情>> 
英文游戏排行榜