China's stranded travellers 中国大批滞留旅客
Groundhog Phil predicts the weather 土拔鼠菲尔预测天气
Now, if you've had a tough commute recently, spare a thought for these rail passengers in China – 50,000 of them have been left stranded in the southern city of Guangzhou. Bad weather is hampering the country's busiest travel period, the Lunar New Year getaway. Extra trains are being laid on to try and clear the backlog.
If you're fed up of winter, here's some good news for you from Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. They've just had their annual Groundhog Festival at Gobbler's Knob and it's all to record the weather prediction of this chap here, the resident groundhog Punxsutawney Phil, to the crowd's delight. Phil failed to see his own shadow so that means he believes there's going to be an early spring.
hampering / backlog / prediction
1. A lack of clues was _______ the investigation into the man's murder.
2. Because of the strike by doctors there is a _______ of patients waiting to be treated.
3. Weather forecasters have ________ the worst of the weather will hit the country on Monday.
1. A lack of clues was hampering the investigation into the man's murder.
2. Because of the strike by doctors there is a backlog of patients waiting to be treated.
3. Weather forecasters have predicted the worst of the weather will hit the country on Monday.