--Jeff and Alan share a common outlook on life. (Jeff 和Alan对于生活有共同的观点。)
22)six of one and half-a-dozen of the other 半斤八两;没什么区别
--I can’t decide whether to take anthropology or geology this term. (我决定不了这学期是选人类学还是地理课。)
--It’s six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. (两门无甚差别。)
23)stick around 在附近逗留或等待
--Leaving the party so soon? We’re just getting ready to cut the cake. (这么早就要走?我们刚准备要切蛋糕。)
--Sorry, I can’t stick around. (对不起,我不能继续待在这儿了。)
24)stick with 继续做,坚持
--I wonder what this new flavor of ice cream tastes like? (我想知道这种新的冰激凌是什么味道?)
--I tried it last week. If I were you, I would stick with an old favorite. (上周我吃过,若我是你,我会继续吃以前爱吃的那种。)
25)straighten out 扯平;结清
--I almost forgot. I still owe you ten dollars from the other night. Do you have change for a twenty? (我差点忘了。不久前的一个晚上我借了你10块钱,到现在还没还呢,你现在能找开20元的吗?)
--Oh, not at the moment. Let’s just straighten it out some other time. (哦,现在不能。以后再结清吧。)
26)toss and turn (身体)翻来覆去(通常表示难以入睡)
--Last night I tossed and turned in bed, too exhausted to sleep. (昨晚我辗转反侧,怎么也睡不着)
27)turn one’s back (在别人遇到困难时)不愿帮助
--He’ll turn his back on me if I ask for money. (我若向他借钱,他就会不理我。)
28)under the weather 身体不适,生病
--It’s good to see you, Mary. How have you been? (看见你真高兴,Mary。你好吗?)
--Actually I have been feeling under the weather recently. (其实这两天我身子不大舒服。)
29)bite off more than one can chew 贪多嚼不烂;心有余而力不足;不自量力;力不从心
--I hear you’ve been taking an advanced physics course this semester. How’s it going? (我听说这学期你在上高等物理课。这门课怎么样?)
--I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. (我是心有余而力不足啊。)
30)break new ground 创新
--His architectural design broke new ground in the field. (他的建筑设计是这个领域里的创新。)
31)do the trick 做成功;达到理想的结果
--I’ve been trying to get the furnace started, but I can’t find the right switch. (我尽力想让炉子燃起来,可不知道该按哪个键。)
--Here, I believe this one in the back will do the trick. (这里,我相信后面按这个键,可以让炉子燃起来。)
32)drag one’s feet 行动缓慢;磨磨蹭蹭不情愿
--How’s Bob coming along on his dissertation proposal? (Bob的论文计划进展地怎么样了?)
--He’s really been dragging his feet. (他很磨蹭的。)
33)draw the line 拒绝,拒不容忍
--Paul expects me to clean the room every week. (Paul想让我每周打扫房间。)
--That’s where I draw the line. (可是我绝对不会答应的。
34)feel down in the dumps 心情不好;情绪低落
--Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment. (Kate为最近的化学作业成绩感到很沮丧。)
35)few and far between 不多;少而分散的;不常碰到或发现的;稀少的
--Steve is really a terrific guy. (Steve真是不简单。)
--He sure is. Ones like him are few and far between. (当然。像他那样的人可不多见。)
36)fit as a fiddle 身体很健康
-- Harry! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages. (Harry,你好吗?好久没看见你了。)
--I’m fit as a fiddle. This exercise program I’m following is terrific. (我身体好极了。我正进行的这个锻炼计划太棒了。)
37)grin and bear 任劳任怨;毫无怨言地忍受
--Carla,I can’t take this job any longer. (Carla,我不能再做这份工作了。)
--If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. ( 如果你需要钱,你就得忍耐。)
38)hit the spot (特指吃了食物,喝了饮料之后)精神完全恢复过来或感到满足;恢复精力;提精神
--This Lemonade sure hits the spot.(柠檬汁太提神了。)
--And how! (当然了!)
39)keep between the two of us 不让第三者知道,保密
--What I’m going to say is rather personal, so let’s keep between the two of us. (我要讲的纯属私事,所以希望你能保密。)
40)know a thing or two about 略知一二
--Do you think Andy could help us plan the camping trip to West Virginia? (你认为Andy会帮我们计划去西弗吉尼亚州野营吗?)
--Well, since he spends every summer there, he might know a thing or two about it. (可能吧。他每个夏天都去那儿,应该知道一些事儿。)


