--Lynn left no stone unturned in her research, and handed in an excellent paper. (Lynn全力以赴做她的研究,交了一篇优秀的论文。)
42)on cloud nine 沉浸在幸福之中;非常高兴
--Marcia looks like she’s on cloud nine. Do you know what made her so happy? (Marcia好象沉浸在幸福之中。你知道她为什么这么高兴吗?)
--She just had a paper accepted for publication. (她有一篇文章要发表了。)
43)on the tip of one’s tongue 一时想不起来,话到嘴边又忘记
--Are you sure you can’t remember the name of that record? (你肯定记不起来那张唱片的名字吗?)
--It’s just on the tip of my tongue! (我就是一时想不起来了。
44)reach the bottom of the barrel 用完,弹尽粮绝
--Don’t you have any other clean shirts? (你还有其它干净衬衫吗?)
--I guess I’ve reached the bottom of the barrel. (我想我已经用完了。)
45)rub sb. the wrong way 使(某人)有点恼火;惹怒;引起反感;烦扰,打搅
--What do you think of our new economics instructor? (你觉得新经济学老师怎么样?)
--I don’t know. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. (不知怎么的,他有点让我反感。)
46)scratch the surface 只懂皮毛,很不了解(通常和限制性副词如only, hardly等词连用)
--You’ve certainly done a lot of research for your project. (你显然对你的课题做了不少研究。)
--It seems like a lot, but actually I’ve only scratched the surface. (看上去不少,但事实上我只懂一些毛皮。)
47)up in the air 尚未决定的;捉摸不定的;悬而未决的
--Her plans for the weekend are still up in the air. (她尚未决定如何度过这个周末。)
48)wear and tear 磨损;消耗
--Why do you always put on slippers when you go into your apartment? (为什么你老是一进公寓就穿上拖鞋?)
--It saves wear and tear on the carpet. (拖鞋不磨损地毯。)
49)with flying colors 大获全胜;胜利地
--How did Ellen do on her Ancient History exam? (Ellen古代史考得怎么样?)
--She passed with flying colors. (她考得好极了。)
50)get off on the wrong foot 开始就不顺利;一开始就犯了个错误
--I hate to get off on the wrong foot. (我讨厌一开始就犯错误。)
51)get on someone’s nerves 使人不安,使人心烦
--Why did you come to the meeting late? I left a message with your roommate about the time change. (为什么你开会迟到?我让你的同屋告诉你改时间的事了。)
--She has a very short memory and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. (她记性不好,有时真让我心烦。)
52)give someone a break 不要去管,饶了某人吧
--Give me a break. I’m nervous enough as it is. (不要管我,我已经够紧张了。)
53)head and shoulders above (在…方面)强于某人
--In computer programming, Susan is head and shoulders above the rest of us.(在计算机编程上,Susan比我们强。)
54)in the red 赤字,负债
--So far the clubs are about three hundred dollars in the red, and we still have four months to go before membership renewal. ( 到目前为止,俱乐部有300元赤字,然而还有4个月才到交会员费的时间。)
--Well, we may have to raise our dues.(那么,我们必须提高会员费了。)
55)in the dark 一无所知;不了解情况
--Do you have any idea what this notice is about? (你知道这通知讲的是什么吗?)
--I’m as in the dark as you are. (我也跟你一样不了解情况。)


